Sunday, August 15, 2010

Home improvements?

two things have come to my attention recently that I find curious, concerning, maybe even alarming....
1. MDF....for those of us who watch home improvement shows, we've all seen it used a zillion times. A few years ago I build a couple of shelves out of it myself. Worked great.
a while back we came across a small piece of it, not usable for anything I could think of, and my son asked if he could toss it in the fire pit....we regularly burn wood scraps and what not in the fire pit, so I said sure. Wow...talk about incendiary...if you were ever considering using this in your house..I'd say PASS....it went up like flash paper and burned hot. If you were to have a situation where this was near a heat source, I'd say you could be in a depth of trouble.
I certainly would take this right off the MUST have list for sure. It scared me how fast it burned and I was once a volunteer firefighter.

2. New Carpet...there are many studies and articles out now that link hyperthyroid disease in cats to the flame retardant in new carpets. Interestingly enough was also a conversation I had recently with an oncologist who told me that thyroid cancer is one of the more common cancers that is being seen lately....now that is some food for thought. On top of how carpets increase allergens, and are just a big NO NO for us pet lovers...I'd say time for a reconsideration on those replacement carpets.

Along the side of the blog, I am starting a bucket list....feel free to share yours..

Today I'd like to recommend a fabulous book I read called Expecting Adam It was given to me to read by my friend Ronit and it is a great book. I really enjoyed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment